Session 28: What Genomics Dreams May Come
Questions for Jamie
- Mina Alikani: To Jamie: How do you address the public perception, or expectation, that ART technologies will widen the gap between the "haves" and "have-nots" and promote inequality - in essence fostering a genetically superior class of people who dominate all others?? Eutopic but imaginable…
- When do you think most of the population ( country?) will have their whole genome sequenced ? 5 yrs 10yrs ?
Questions for Helen
- Reda Mahfouz: Based on high uncertainty (no read/ mosaic..etc) of sequencing results on those few embryonic single cells… Illumina terminated reproduction line… Beyond ethics, how would we decide comfortably choosing embryos based on NGS? How to personalize preconception care to IVF Rx from cycle to cycle ?… Do you think neonatal screening is worth adding the cost of sequencing testing?
Questions for Nathan
- Embryo quantity is an important limit to knowing more about embryo genomics. It seems that we need to agree on priorities from a genomic analysis point of view. In the movie Gattaca the choice is just between 4 embryos. This is unrealistic since we now know that at least 50% have major genetic anomalies not compatible with normal fetal development. Are detecting spontaneous mutations in all embryos not a priority before we go to polygenic features?
- Mikhail Zoubine: How many cells need to pgt
- Nathan: 5-7 trophectoderm cells
- Abdulghaffar HUSSIN: What is the suitable for PGT biopsy cells or spent culture media and what is the best? Can it be used to validate current PGT testing PLUS non-invasive methods...will it perhaps show the cell free DNA is inferiorDNA?
- Nathan: So far spent culture media is not as accurate as biopsy derived DNA. The decision to accept reduced accuracy would be based on proficiency with performing an embryo biopsy vs collecting spent media. In addition, most studies with higher concordance involve significant manipulation of the embryo such that “noninvasive” is probably a misnomer.
- Is the accuracy of polygenic risk scoring with non-invasive blastocyst culture media samples as high as it is for trophectoderm biopsies?
- Nathan: This has not been fully tested
- Reda Mahfouz: What are genes listed into lifeview polygenic testing? Are they given similar weight? pathways affected?
- Nathan: Some diseases involve over 5,000 loci, others less than 100. Each loci is weighted differently based on machine learning.
- Dr.Hayder A. L. Mossa: What about the vitrification of biopsied embryos?What's your opinion about?
- Nathan: Some studies indicate vitrification and subsequent frozen embryo transfer improves outcomes by avoiding transfer in the stimulation cycle and providing for better synchrony.
- Gene editing technology promises to cure diseases and make us stronger and smarter but where do we draw the line?